Garlic Parsley Mushrooms: Side Dish Recipe for Sautéed Mushrooms Enhanced with Herbs & Spices
These Garlic Parsley Mushrooms are a hearty side dish which can be served at at a luncheon, high tea party, bridal shower or dinner celebration. Garlic Parsley Mushrooms make a terrific topping for steak, chicken, rice, baked potatoes or pasta. Serve Garlic Parsley Mushrooms along with a loaf of crusty Italian or French bread, to sop up the delicious liquid that is created during the cooking process.
Ingredients for Garlic Parsley Mushrooms
- 1 lb. mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley – chopped
Directions for Garlic Parsley Mushrooms
- Wipe off any dirt that is present on the mushrooms using a slightly damp paper towel.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms, and reserve for another dish, such as Eggplant Moussaka.
- Cut the mushrooms into medium thick slices. Very large mushrooms should be halved before slicing.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan, and place the pan over medium high heat.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until they begin to release their juices, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat down to low and continue cooking for 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, white wine, salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat to medium and continue cooking and stirring until the liquid has almost evaporated.
- Stir in the parsley and remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe Tips and Suggestions
Check the produce section of the grocery store to see what mushrooms are in season. Baby portabella or white mushrooms work very well with this recipe.
A soft, mushroom brush can be used to gently clean the mushrooms. Mushroom brushes can be found in kitchen specialty stores and the kitchen section of larger department stores.
Flat leaved or curly parsley can be used in this recipe.
Jars of minced garlic can be found in the produce section of most grocery stores. Using prepared garlic will save the home cook a bit of time.
Place the finished Garlic Parsley Mushrooms in an elegant serving bowl, and garnish with a few sprigs of parsley, before placing the bowl on the dinner table.